Taxes on the Ownership of a House in Italy: What do I Need to Do for 2018?

| December 5, 2018

Did you mark your calendar? If you own or rent a home in Italy, December 17 deadline nears for the payment of the second instalment of IMU and TASI this year.

The infographic will help you understand if you have to pay IMU and TASI 2018, how and how much.

Once the total amount due for 2018 has been calculated and the first rate has been already paid, you will pay the remaining 50% in this second rate.

33 thoughts on “Taxes on the Ownership of a House in Italy: What do I Need to Do for 2018?

1. Rob

Just to confirm on the tax implications, when they say primary home , do they mean the first property in Italy or are they including your home that you live in in a different country so it becomes a secondary ?
    Thanks

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Rob,

If your home in Italy is not your main residence, then that’s your second home. To consider your home in Italy your ‘principal home’ these requirements must be met: it must be registered in the land registry as a unique property in which you and your family normally live and are identified as being resident there.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

2. Maggie Peplow

We have owned our home in Sicily for 11 years. When the tax exemption on primary residences came in we were questioned quite closely about this, but since we only have a caravan in UK on a non-residential site we were classed as exempt. If you have a house or similar in your home country they will want to know how much time you spend there and will probably require some sort of proof. But at the end of the day they will almost certainly tax you on your Italian home as a secondary residence.

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Maggie,

Try to contact a commercialista then, he could help you sorting out the issue!

All the best,

The Gate-away.com team

2. Clive Cullen

How do you know if you are the 1st or 2nd tax rate? I bought a house last October and was told it would OK to pay in July 2017 when I am going out there.

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Clive,

If it is your primary home (where you live at least 180 days a year within 18 months of purchase), you don’t have to pay IMU nor TASI. But in case it is your second home, then you have to pay for the months you owned the house so far. The deadline for the first rate of IMU and TASI is today. If you pay starting from tomorrow a small fine will be applied. The deadline for paying the second rate is December 16.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

3. Glen Persello

Hi there,
    We currently have a house in Fossa, L’Aquila that was on the verge of habitation until the earthquake struck in April 2009. So we have never lived in the property at all. Fast track to 2017 and we are still waiting for the house and surrounding properties to be repaired. From memory I was informed due to the earthquake there would be no taxes payable for the foreseeable future. I wonder if this is the case now as I have never received any notification for taxes to be payable. Frustrating experience, I can tell you!
    Do you have any feedback regarding this unique situation I currently find myself in?
    Thanks

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Glen,

You don’t receive notification for IMU and TASI. Towns hit by recent earthquakes are exempt from paying these taxes for 2017 and 2018. But to be sure about that you should try and contact the comune where your property is situated and ask about that.

4. Gemma

Hello. My husband and i just bought a property in Italy. Do we both have to pay the IMU (e.g. we both complete an F24 form and state that we own 50% of the property each)? Or can i submit one form on behalf of my husband and I (and include his tax code on the form)? Also, given that it is our second home, do we simply declare the property as ‘altre abitazioni’ to calculate how much we owe? Thanks for your help.

1. Gate-away.com

Dear Gemma,

If you and your husband are co-owners of a second home in Italy (50%-50%), each of you have to pay Imu. You need to fill out two different F24 forms (one for each of you) and you need to include all your data in the form, including your tax code (codice fiscale).

Hope this will help.

The Gate-away.com team

5. Anders Sandelin

We have bought our flat in Sanremo in Ocober 2015. We live in Sweden and will use our Italien flat for holidays. Sofar we have not got any paper regarding taxes like IMU and TASI (only for TARI). Will we get a written request from the authories?
    Anders

1. Anders Sandelin

Many thanks for your answer. We would be very greatful if you be kind and tell us if we can wait without do something or we have to contact any authories.

1. gate-away.com

Dear Anders,

You’d better contact a commercialista (accountant) in order to sort out the issue and be up to date with your payments a soon as you can.

All the best,

The Gate-away.com team

6. Shawn

Good morning
    I live in switzerland. I have only a rental apartment here and do not own the property. If I buy an apartment in Italy and use it for my vacations, Do I have to pay taxes on it? and if yes, I read the sum of both Taxes are Max 6.8 per mill. Is it 0.68% or is it 6.8% Tax

Thanks

7. Sherrie Harden

How do you know if your house is a villa? my mother in law has a house in Sardinia, we are trying to work out what taxes she has to pay. She is an Italian citizen born in Italy, the house is her only home but she spends only 2 – 3 months a year there, the rest of the year she spends in UK living with family, can u help?

many thanks

1. Gate-away.com

Dear Sherrie,

If you need to know which cadastral category your property belongs to in order to know if you own a luxury home or not and so what taxes you have to pay, you should be able to find it out in the final deed you signed when you purchased the property or alternatively you may ask for a castral certificate (visura) which is a document issued by the Italian revenue office.

What is more, she can consider her property in Italy her primary home if she’s has her residency there.

8. Alvina Long

Where can I find a translation of the Italian form for “TASI 2018- Scadenza Rata: 18/01/2018 Modello di Pagamento” ?
    What does “num immob” mean?

1. Gate-away.com

Dear Alvina,

We don’t think you’ll find it in English, it’s only in Italian. Anyway “num immob” means that there you need to specify the number of properties for which you are paying TASI.

We hope it can help.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

9. Mario

My father left me a house in italy. I’m living in the United States , I need to pay IMU ON the house since it’s my first house in italy and go the every 3 or 4 years for 3 weeks at the time

10. Daniel

My girlfriend and her mum live in an apartment in italy, if i register in the city hall of this city, saying that i live there, my girlfriend and the mum must pay more taxes because now live 3 people in the house?

I hope you can help me!

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Daniel,

If you apply for residency at your girlfriend and her mum’s house, they should pay more TARI and it is linked to the number of people living in a house.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

11. Davide

HI,
    I live in the USA and owned and apartment.My mother that lives in Italy recently died ( mid July) and my brother and I became the owners.
    I’m wondering when I will need to pay the IMU …next year?

12. Linda

I lived in Italy for 3 years and bought a property, but left for the UK 8 years ago and only visited occasionally.
    I am about to sell the Italian property, but there is major issue with MUI and TARI. Can the amount owed be taken from the proceeds of the house sale.??

In urgent need of help before I lose the buyer.

Many thanks in anticipation.

13. Dominick

I am estimating the costs of home ownership in Italy. This would be a small vacation home and won’t be my primary residence. I am considering a class A cottage with a market value of $100K. Is there a rule of thumb or some other way to estimate the rendita catastale?

14. Greg Cefai

Hi, is it more beneficial to purchase a property in Italy as another EU country citizen or as an Italian Citizen? Cause I am eligible to get my Italian citizenship if I want, just not sure what would be more beneficial.

15. Rick

Our father left us a house in rural Italy as well, however, it has long since been abandoned
    and uninhabitable for years .. i understand this status deems it exempt from IMU tax ?
    What are the conditions that have to be met before a house can be proven uninhabitable ?
    I understand there is still a one time registration fee process that is required regardless ?

16. Maggie

Hi, my aunt left me a share of her home n Italy. It was her primary residence, but will not be mine, as the property will be sold. What are out tax implications? I also understand that I will need to obtain a code fiscale, not sure for what purpose. Thanking anyone for some answers.

17. Michael Giarratano

Ciao,
    My wife and I are planning to move to Trapani, Sicilia. We want to buy a building that has two apartments that we can rent out during season. This will be our main/permanent residence. We will be renting these apartments just 8 months out of the year. Our question is, can we claim the entire building as our home even though we will rent it out part of the year? We want to know if we have to pay IMU and TASI on the sq. meters that we rent out. More clarification on uses would be great. Can you direct us to where we may find this information? Thank you.