4 bedrooms historic house, 260 m² Cividale del Friuli, Udine (province)
The property, located along an ancient road close to the center of Cividale, consists of three rooms plus a suite of about 50 square meters on several levels, all with private bathroom and river view, TV and minibar. A splendid breakfast room overlooks the 31 sqm private garden decorated with ancient columns, ideal for a unique breakfast on the Natisone river or simply to read a good book in total relaxation.
Cividale, founded between 56 and 50 BC, was called Forum Julii, in honor of Julius Caesar, who in 49 BC elevated it to Municipium. Later he would assume the honorary title of colony and add to the X Regio.
Saved by the Quadi and Marcomanni (167) and by Attila (451), who was aiming for Aquileia, she remained safe until the Longobards fell. After the fall of Aquileia, it became the most important center of the region, to the point that its name also indicated the territory of today's Friuli.
The Longobardi on 2 April 568 led by Alboino entered Italy and Forum Julii became the first seat of his duchy. Alboino's son, Gisulph, was the first of the seventeen princes who ruled Forogiulio before the coming of the Franks (774).
In 610 it was destroyed by the Avars and every Roman memory disappeared. Under the longobards the city was called Civitas Austriae, which later simplified in Civitas and then from Civid, then took on the form of Cividale. In 737, the patriarch of Aquileia Callisto was based in Cividale, who began a long series of patriarchs with residence in Cividale.
In the spring of 773, Charlemagne at the invitation of Pope Hadrian I, descended on Italy, and defeated the Longobards proclaimed themselves their king. In 787 Patriarch Sigualdo died and Charlemagne appointed St. Paolino as his successor.
After the decadence of Aquileia, Cividale was the most important patriarchal residence until in 1222 an earthquake injured it, forcing the Patriarch to move to Udine. Increasingly used as the latter because it is more central, Cividale continued to have an eminent place throughout the Middle Ages in regional history.
Tormented and difficult was the history of the city in the centuries. XIII and 14th because of the antagonism with Udine for supremacy in the Patriarchate and with the accounts of Gorizia, lawyers of the patriarch, but interested in becoming the true feudal principles of Friuli.
This situation that had weakened the Friuli took advantage of Venice, which declared war on the Patriarchate and conquered it in 1420. The Cividalesi allied themselves in Venice, hoping for their own political revival. But it was not: it was subjected directly to Venice, for its strategic position, while it was Udine that became the capital that Cividale aspired to be.
Cividale was assigned an ordinary procurator-age who was directly dependent on the doge. It was deprived of administrative autonomy in 1555 when Venice invoked the powers exercised by the city council. The arengo was abolished in 1588.
City life continued peacefully under The Venetian government until the Napoleonic period. On 3 May 1797 Napoleon declared war on Venice and all Friuli's publishers left their headquarters. Cividale passed with the Treaty of Campoformido to the Austrians. With the establishment of the Kingdom Of Lombardy Veneto was included in the Province of Friuli and head of the 13th District.
With the plebiscite vote of 21 and 22 October 1866 Cividale was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy. The city was connected to Udine with the new railway operated by the Veneta Society.
With the First World War, Cividale found itself involved in the war operations, because it was very close to the front line. On 27 October 1917, the city was bombed by enemy artillery and occupied by the Austro-Hungarian army due to the tragic route of Caporetto.
The Devil's Bridge over Natisone was blown up by our engineers. The Austrians rebuilt it in stone: what we see today. Finally on November 4, 1918, the city returned free and for the value shown by the citizens was decorated with the War Cross.
In World War II, from September 1943 to April 1945 the city was occupied by German troops. After the war and overcoming the anxieties over the eastern border, the entrepreneurial desire of the Cividalese also returned, joining the flourishing agriculture mostly with wine growing, industry and crafts.
In 2012 it was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Property TypeHistoric house
- ConditionCompletely restored/Habitable
- Living area260 m²
- Garden31 m²
- Energy Efficiency Rating
- ReferenceAncient medieval house for sale
- Public transport
440 m - Train Station - Cividale del Friuli
- Hospital910 m
- Coast33.4 km
- Ski resort3.0 km
Information about Cividale del Friuli
- Elevation135 m a.s.l.
- Total area50.65 km²
- LandformInland hill
Via San Giorgio, 1, Trieste, Trieste
What do you think of this advert’s quality?
Help us improve your Gate-away experience by giving a feedback about this advert.
Please, do not consider the property itself, but only the quality of how it is presented.