Reference: COUNTRY HOUSE
- Condition: Completely restored/Habitable
- Habitable surface: 240 m²
- Energy efficiency class: G
- Bedrooms: 4
- Bathrooms: 2
- Rooms: 10
- Garden: 3000 m²
Bologna BLQ: 42 Km
Verona VRN: 96 Km
Venezia VCE: 97 Km
Venezia TSF: 107 Km
- 5 Km Nearest town facilities:
- 50 Km Beach:
- 90 Km Ski resort:
In Voghiera, cradle of the first Roman settlements in the green heart of Ferrarashire, where the roads wind along the path of ancient rivers, we sell free of chain a sumptuous detached country house, divided into two apartments, with a large private garden of 0.75 acres.
In 1435 Marquis Niccolò III Este chose Voghiera to build the summer residence of his court, the so-called Delizia of Belriguardo. It was, in fact, the first summer residence of a lordship in Europe, admired throughout the continent for its size - at least forty hectares - grandeur and gorgeous gardens. King Louis XI of France began building the palace complex of Versailles only forty years later, in 1475, inspired by this amazing manor. Belriguardo was populated by some of the most prominent artists and writers of the Italian Renaissance, such as the poet Ludovico Ariosto, the author of the romance epic Orlando Furioso (1516), and Torquato Tasso, also a poet at the service of Duke Alfonso II of Ferrara, best known for his poem Gerusalemme liberata (Jerusalem Delivered, 1581). Goethe himself wrote of Belriguardo in his book “Italian Journey” (1786-1788), although in his day little remained of the original splendor.
This substantial rural house was built in the early 90s and has always been inhabited by the same family of agricultural entrepreneurs. Its rustic and sober style reflects the canons of the typical agricultural architecture of this area. On the ground floor, two sides of the property face on a magnificent patio, on which rises an elegant balcony that offers an extensive view of the surrounding bucolic landscape.
The two apartments are elegantly finished, with double glazed doors and windows, each equipped with classic ferrarese dark brown wooden shutters, which would enjoy a bit of maintenance. The classic brown wood doors with polished brass handles provide for a distinct and noble appearance.
The living areas are floored with ceramic tiles, of an exquisite beige tone, which gives brightness and airiness to the rooms. The bedrooms, on the other hand, boast a classic light oak parquet floor, an ideal setting for a welcoming and refined furnishing.
The rooms layout makes this house an ideal residence for two families. Alternatively, it is possible to rent one of the two apartments for short periods, taking advantage of the recognized tourist vocation of these lands, rich in history, ancient and modern art, and easy cycling routes that wind through a flat landscape of enchanting beauty in every season.
Ground floor apartment
The large entrance on the ground floor opens onto a spacious living room with a dining area. Adjacent to the living room is a practical and comfortable kitchen. The sleeping area consists of two double bedrooms and a bathroom.
First floor apartment
The entrance to the first floor, which is accessed by a graceful marble staircase with wooden railing, includes an eat-in kitchen and a bright dining room with living room. The sleeping area comprises of three large double bedrooms and a bathroom.
Each housing unit has a windowed bathroom. Each bathroom is finished with elegant quality ceramic tiles on both walls and floors, and are equipped with a toilet, a bidet, a shower cabin, a bathtub and a vanity unit.
Patio and balcony
The patio and the balcony give elegance and great practicality to this property. The patio, surrounded by rosemary plants, is paved with large terracotta tiles treated to withstand the elements, and the French windows of the ground floor apartment open onto the porch. The balcony on the first floor boasts a magnificent Tuscan terracotta floor and is suitable for enjoying outdoor life in the open air.
The house enjoys a beautiful park of 3,000 square meters that extends all around the property. This enviable green area is made luxuriant by a few adult plants, among which lime trees, maples, larches, pines and oaks. The large availability of space makes this land suitable for the construction (subject to obtaining the appropriate building permits) of a large swimming pool with solarium.
A portion of the garden, sheltered from the rest of the house, can be used for breeding chickens, rabbits or ducks. The entire area, partially fenced, is also suitable for keeping our 4-legged friends.
In the property there are two shelters, which were once used as deposits for the family's agricultural tools. Today these two detached structures are no longer used for this purpose, and could conveniently accommodate medium-sized vehicles.
The nearest motorway access is the Ferrara Sud exit of A13 Bologna-Padua, about 20 km away.
Ferrara train station is just 15 km away. From there, high-speed trains depart frequently for Bologna (20 minutes journey time), Venice (one hour), Florence (an hour and a half), Rome (three hours) and Naples (four hours).
The nearest clinic is S. Anna Hospital in Cona, just 10 km away.
The town of Voghiera has about 3,000 inhabitants. It is a historic town, equipped with every kind of service, including a pharmacy, a minimarket and some lively bars, restaurants and pizzerias. The carabinieri barracks, a church, kindergartens, elementary and middle schools, a tennis court and a soccer field are not missing either.
The Delizia of Belriguardo, despite having fallen over the centuries, today represents a very important tourist destination. It hosts quite a few exhibitions, conferences, and national events, including the festival of PDO Garlic from Voghiera, a real showpiece of this area's exquisite gastronomy. The Delizia of Belriguardo is also home to a small but important archaeological museum, which houses the treasures of the Roman necropolis of Voghenza, datable from the middle of the 1st century AD to the middle of the III, together with some rare finds from Spina, an important Etruscan port city overlooking the Adriatic Sea, which flourished from 540 BC.