Reference: ANT 01854
- Condition: Completely restored/Habitable
- Habitable surface: 4500 m²
- Energy efficiency class: NA
- Bedrooms: 25
- Bathrooms: 4
- Garden: 10000 m²
- Land: 60000 m²
Torino TRN: 33 Km
Cuneo CUF: 51 Km
Milano MXP: 128 Km
Genova GOA: 132 Km
Castello della Costa, or Castello Canalis, is an historic residence of about 4500 m² surrounded by a park of 7 hectares that stands on a hill in a panoramic position on the village of Costa di Cumiana, about 30 km away from Torino, along the motorway which takes to Pinerolo.
The Castle, consisting of two adjoining buildings, was built starting from the 16th century and underwent some changes and adjustments over the centuries. The current configuration includes four wings arranged around a central courtyard with porticoes on two sides. The south façade is preceded by a monumental staircase with three flights leading to a large panoramic terrace with a marble balustrade. The north façade has a smaller terrace with a stairway that opens toward the park.
Recently the Castle underwent an important conservative renovation, and is now home of a well-established and renowned hospitality business which comprehend weddings, receptions, congresses, whilst its elegant apartments are used as bed & breakfast.
The heart of the Castle is the magnificent 13 meter high Main Hall, with the ceiling frescoed by the Pozzo brothers around 1732, overlooking the garden to the north and the internal courtyard.along the walls of the Hall open up a nice frescoed private chapel, some rooms elegantly furnished with precious fantique pieces of furniture, and the entrance to the south side that opens onto the panoramic terrace. Furniture and paintings are all original from the 18th century.
The upper floors of the main body of the Castle are divided into 5 apartments elegantly furnished. In the basement there are other large rooms, including an orangery, a completely equipped kitchen, a cellar set up with vintage barrels.
In the west wing of the Castle, partly to be renovated internally, there are the caretaker's apartment and a Music Hall.
The fresco in the Main Hall depicts tromp-l'oeil motifs: architectural elements, flower post, flags, spears, coats of arms are depicted; in the eight lunettes are painted musical instruments and weapons of war. In the centre of the vault is represented a warrior flanked by two angelic putti and a character riding a lion, which recalls the lion on the coat of arms of the Canalis family.
At the top of the pillars on either side of the main entrance gate there are the statues of two sea horses, donated to the Canalis family by Vittorio Amedeo III, through the Count of Favria, in 1781 and coming from the sculptural group of Neptune's Coach who was part of Hercules's Fountain in the park of Venaria Reale Castle, and dismantled in 1751.
The Castle is heated with heat pump convectors with methane boiler. Alarm with sensors.
Still to be renovate: about 630 m² in the south wing and about 300 m² of the stables in the park on the north-west side.
The park consists of some terraces with olive trees; a garden with precious secular plants including some yews and cedars of Lebanon; a 3000 m² vineyard of Cumianello grapes; a scenic tree-lined path with hornbeams and magnolias; further, a wood extends on the north hill behind the Castle in which are located the chapel of San Rocco and the ruins of an ancient castle, built before Castello della Costa.
Castello Canalis has a long history: an older castle was built in the same area in the Midlle Ages. In 1366 The Savoia family (that wuold became the italian Royal family) sold the property to Count Canalis who, in the 16th century built a new Castle consisting in two adjoining palaces. From some documents, we know that In 1587 the two buildings belonged to two Canalis cousins, Guglielmo Bernardino and Giud'Alfonso. The two cousins left the mansion to their heir.
In 18th century, Count Ludovico Canalis, on the foundations of his part of the Castle, the one toward east, had the current building rebuilt. The other half of the Castle was never remodeled. In 1801 the last descendat of the Canalis Family died and the Castle, following several changes of ownership, was finally acquired by Counts Provana of Collegno, who held it from 1864 to 1992.