How to buy a house in Ollolai for € 1

| January 31, 2018

In the very heart of Sardinia and immersed in the Mediterranean vegetation rises Ollolai, a picturesque village with a population of about 1,500 and whose old buildings are made of typical local grey granite rock.

Here time has stood still so if you are you considering moving to Italy and want to enjoy its slower-paced life, then it could be your ideal destination… especially because it has recently launched a programme to sell its dwellings — all in need of restoration — for just a €1 fee with the aim of revitalizing its old town centre.

Dreaming of living in Ollolai and buying a house for just €1? Follow these steps:

1. Go to Ollolai official website

2. Search for the “Case a 1 euro – Documentazione e modulistica” banner on the right side of the page and download the application form written in Italian (no English version available).
You only have to fill it out with your personal details: name and surname, place of birth (i.e. town and country), current address (i.e. town, country, street), telephone number, mobile number and email. Then add your signature and date, and send it back to protocollo.ollolai@pec.it
Do not forget to attach a photocopy of your identity document as well.

Once you have sent the form to express your interest in the prequalification process of buying a house for € 1 you will be included in a waiting list. As new housing units become available, each applicant will be contacted by the town hall in chronological order. The applicant will then be invited to see the property so one can decide whether or not to buy the house at a symbolic price of € 1. You will also be required to pay a refundable deposit of € 1,000 as a guarantee that you will restore the real estate within a few years (about 3). Of course the cost of renovation and timing depends on the condition of each individual property, so they can vary from case to case.

The deadline for applying is 7 February 2018 at 2 pm.

When the assignment of the house to you is definitely approved, you have to sign the notary deed of purchase of the property within 2 months. Then within one year you will have to apply to the comune (town hall) to begin your renovation works. Once the request has been approved, the aforementioned works must start within 2 months.

But do you know that there are other Italian villages are selling property for € 1? Check out the list, click here.

56 thoughts on “How to buy a house in Ollolai for € 1

1. Mark

The email address given does not work, neither do the other email addresses given on the paperwork 🙁

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Mark,

It seems like the email address is correct, so we suppose this could be probably due to the too many emails/requests they received from all over the world!

1. rudolph

Hi
        Rudolph here.
        Is there still time left to sent a form.
        And where can i find a form,and there email addres.

thanks Rudolph

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Rudolph,

Unfortunately the deadline for applying is 7 February 2018.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

2. Libeesh Philip

I am Libeesh Philip from Kerala, India, at present working at Abu Dhabi in the UAE. I am rellay interested to move to Italy with my family (wife 34 years, Civil Diploma Holder, my daughter 10 years and my son 8 years). We would like to be there permanently.

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Alex!

It means “province” (it refers to Italian provinces), but if you live outside of Italy we suppose you can fill the blank with the name of your home country.

Hope it may be of some help.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

1. mindia

I living in Georgia (country) and I need live in Italy? Please tell me about how I can buy house in Italy?

2. Amel

I’m interested but I cant give my details there is too much online robbery but contact me I’ll travel to Italy myself

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Djil!

It’s not a game, as a matter of fact many houses have been already bought at the symbolic price of € 1. Probably this is because in a few days they received so many requests that maybe you cannot apply anymore.

All the best,

The Gate-away.com team

3. Umer

Please fill the following as a sample, because i don’t know Italian.
    “IO SOTTOSCRITTO/A _____________________________ NATO/A A _______________________ PR. (____)
    RESIDENTE A _______________________ PR. (_____) IN VIA/LOC./PIAZZA ___________________________
    N._____”

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Umer,

That’s how you should fill it out as a sample:

“IO SOTTOSCRITTO/A _John Smith_____ NATO/A A ______Chicago____ PR. (_USA_)
      RESIDENTE A ___Boston____________________ PR. (__USA___) IN VIA/LOC./PIAZZA ________Flee Street__________________
      N.__224___”

When you see “IO SOTTOSCRITTO/A” that means that you have to enter your name and surname
      “NATO/A A” = town of birth
      “PR” refers to an Italian province, but in your case we suppose you can enter your country of birth
      “RESIDENTE A” = the town where you are currently living
      “PR” refers to an Italian province, but in your case we suppose you can enter your home country
      “VIA/LOC./PIAZZA” current address (street name and house number = “N”)

4. Buckminster Hickman

What does “PEC” stand for in the “PER CONTATTI” section?

1. Gate-away.com

Hi!

In Italy PEC stands for ‘Posta Elettronica Certificata’, which is the Italian for ‘certified electronic mail’. A certified email aims to guarantee the same legal validity as a certified mail.

5. Ahmad H

Hi
    Does anyone know about taxation in Italy? In case you own a house in Sardinia

6. Omar

Hello there,

The email address doesn’t work, I’ve been trying since more than a week and it’s always bouncing back. Tomorrow is the deadline and if you have another email address I would be thankful if you provide it ASAP or fix your current email

Omar

1. Taufiq

Hey
        I want to know about the latest 1 euro scheme in Italy and the town’s which are still giving this opportunity.
        Thanks

7. Naveen

if I m not able to go Italy to see property can I initiate all procedures of buying property and later renovating it from INDIA through email and online or mail documents while sitting in INDIA.

I mean is it possible to sign al documents and to follow all procedures without going to Italy and once renovation work is done , I may visit only once in last when the property is ready for my use.

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Naveen,

In this case, you’d better contact the comune of Ollolai via email and ask them directy. So they can give you more accurate information.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

2. Sonia Alioto

It is very unlikely that you can start on complete the transaction via email. You need to give someone an Italian Power of Attorney to represent you. This person does not have to be in Italy now but would represent you for the closing of the sale.

8. jim kadnuck

i have gone to the official website and found the banner on the right side of the page. however, i am unable to locate any form to fill in with my information. the only pdf’s i am able to download are showing houses that are listed. please, where do i find the form?

1. Kritin Kamboj

Hi is there any form in english or if not how can i fill this one i can’t understand italian

9. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Give me the email address for ollolai houses where in I have to submit my application form and request and passport details immediately as it’s last day of submission
    Thanks

10. Alistair

Please advise where I am able to find a further list of towns and websites where I can see other similar opportunities to purchase property in this manner in Italy

11. Rabiaa alsayegh

Hi there,
    Are there any others areas selling cheap properties other than Ollollia? Plz send the link as I am Australian and very interested to move Italy with my children.

12. Shane Timmermans

The advise given does not work. I would love to purchase a property yet it is so difficult as the process is not clear and does not lead to what it should.
    Admin please try it yourselves and see what I am talking about.
    Please update

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Shane,

Unfortunately the deadline for applying was 7 February 2018.

What’s your budget? Maybe you can find something interesting for a small budget on our website too.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

13. Muhammad Zahid

Dear .

any location in italy 1 euro house available . so i can apply .

14. susan esther wambui

Am a Kenyan farmer and school principal, am interested in buying the 1 euro house in Italy. Good for furnished holiday and honeymoon this will be good since we have many Kenyans visiting Rome. Please advice. Thanks susan

15. Regina LeBorg

Please send me a form. I want to buy and renovate a house in Ollolai or elsewhere in Sardinia where it is so inexpensive to create a dream come true!

16. Elias

The best way to do it is to go there and apply in person don’t you think??

1. Gate-away.com

Hi Elias,

Sure, it is! In any case for those interested in buying a property in Ollolai for € 1, applying online was the only way to express your interest in the prequalification process.

All the best,

the Gate-away.com team

17. Maru Aranda

Hi!
    Im Planning visit Italy and I need to know if the 1 Euro program still effective.

Thank You very much!

Maru

18. Naveed Walter

Hello sir. How are you.
    Sir i also want to buy a house in Italy. Can you plz guide me .

1. Gate-away.com

Hi!

If you are interested in buying a property for sale in Italy for € 1, you can still apply for Sambuca di Sicilia by sending an email to the town hall. You can find all details on the official website of the comune.

In case you need more info about buying a home in Italy, you can take a look at this: https://www.gate-away.com/pages_intl.php?id=5

19. Ori Salton

Would someone be able to answer the following please?
    1. What would be the average cost of renovation.
    2. What are the municipality taxes.

Thank you very much!

20. Lorraine Portelli

Hi are there more offers like these in Sardinia please?