Purchase a House in Italy for only €1

| April 16, 2018

Residents and authorities of some Italian villages started to see the power of investment in local areas. That’s why they are launching schemes to sell old dwellings to buyers for a symbolic € 1 fee! Can you believe it? And it’s seems like this is a growing trend.

Sambuca in Sicily did just that with the aim of rejuvenating its old town centre against depopulation, with some of its inhabitants deciding to donate their property to the Town because they are in need of full renovation. Sambuca is a picturesque hamlet rising on a small hill with views over the Mediterranean island and the nearby beaches. Known as the “City of Splendor”, in 2016 it has been rewarded as the most beautiful hamlet in Italy. Founded by Ancient Greeks and conquered by Saracens, this peaceful retreat is situated in a nature reserve and offers ancient ruins and marvellous scenery.

Through the town hall website you can now apply to express your interest in the prequalification process of buying a house for € 1 in Sambuca.

It follows the example of other Italian small towns, namely Zungoli in Campania, Lecce nei Marsi in Abruzzo; Salemi, Regalbuto, Gangi  and Mussomeli in Sicily as well as Patrica in Lazio.

But the list also include Montieri and Fabbriche di Vergemoli in Tuscany, Nulvi and Ollolai in Sardinia  where the scheme has already been proven to work perfectly. Investors (both Italians and non-Italians) have not only bought dwellings for private use, but have also opened hotels and B&Bs, enabling it to welcome growing numbers of tourists who will be able to enjoy this unspoilt but stunning area of Sardinia. Want to know more about how you can buy one of them? Visit the official website of each town hall.

Locals are more than willing to welcome also international investment to enable their old towns to be revitalized and become busier once again. From an home buyer’s point of view, this is excellent news, as it demonstrates the lengths to which residents are prepared to go to ensure the area’s growth and prosperity in the future.

The desire of Italian places to prevent depopulation is such that a number of them are selling off property at very low prices to encourage the purchase and the reinstatement of busy centres.

With local authorities being so intent on the rejuvenation of the territory, home buyers stand in a very strong position to negotiate and achieve the best prices possible for real estate here, also those that are not included in the € 1 programme. When investing overseas, the importance of choosing a buoyant location is key to making a sound investment for the future.

93 thoughts on “Purchase a House in Italy for only €1

1. Máximo Padilla

Dears Srs. This web page is very nice to read
    I want to recive more information about the houses to buy in 1 Euro, in north of Italy
    I will travel to Italy this month and I want to now more.
    Wainting your answer
    Máximo

Dear Maximo,

If you are interested in properties for sale in Lecce nei Marsi (Abruzzo) at €1 you have to contact directly the Town Hall which is the body in charge for the sale. So you should send an email to info@comunelecceneimarsi.it

Anyway, if you’re looking for an area of Italy in particular let me know and we can put you in contact with some reliable real estate agents that can help you in the research of your ideal home.

Kind regards,

The Gate-away.com team

1. Frank Roth

Hi Gate away team,

do you have other areas in Italy were you can buy for 1 Euro & contacts to the mayor?
        Are there real estate agents who are focusing on 1 Euro Houses you can recommend?

THX!

Best Regards
        Frank

Dear Frank,

Here is the complete list of the 8 towns which are currently selling properties for € 1:
          – Gangi, Salemi and Regalbuto in Sicily
          – Nului and Ollolai in Sardinia
          – Montieri in Tuscany
          – Carrega Ligure in Piedmont
          – Lecce nei Marsi in Abruzzo

If you are interested in one of these towns, you should check the official website of the comune where you’ll find the contacts to ask for more info as it’s the comune who manage directly the sale of these properties.

1. Roxy

Hi get-away team,

Where is the application I should fill out for the Nului 1 euro house purchase?

2. Andy

I’m struggling to find the relevant websites to apply for these houses, can you help with links?

3. Gate-away.com

Hi Andy,

You can try with this website https://casea1euro.it/ or you can try with the official website of each town (comune). To find them just type “comune di + “the name of each town” on Google.

2. Franco Maselli

Hello,

For days I have been contacting one of the sites that represent la comune of Ollolai without success. I am also interesed in the other areas of Lecce Nei Marsi in Abruzzo, Salemi, Regalbuto, Gangi in Sicily, Carrega Ligure in Piedmont. I am a Canadian who also holds EU citizenship. I am not sure if it is already too late to apply for the Ollolai properties, but in any case, do you suggest to contact all other comunes via email then? I look forward to your reply and thank you for your help.

Hi Franco!

Unfortunately for Ollolai the deadline was yesterday. If you are interested in one of the other towns selling property for € 1, you can try and contact them in order to receive info about how you can apply and especially if there are still some property available for € 1 fee.

3. Stevan Radic

Hey, Im interested in purchasing property in Italy at €1, if you can send me the list of areas that are offering this opportunity , it would be appreciated

Hi Stevan,

Here is the complete list of the Italian towns which are selling properties for € 1:
          – Gangi, Salemi and Regalbuto in Sicily
          – Nulvi and Ollolai in Sardinia
          – Montieri in Tuscany
          – Carrega Ligure in Piedmont
          – Lecce nei Marsi in Abruzzo
          – Pratica in Lazio
          – Fabbriche di Vergemoli in Toscana

1. William

Please send me the exact address what airport I need to fly into. I would like to talk to some person that speaks English. My e mail is drquinan@ Yahtzee.com

2. Aziza

Hi,
            There’s still any house for sale for 1€ , Are it’s to late now?
            I’m very interested to buy one of those houses and I’m contacting you from norwa. Please help me.

Best regards
            Aziza

4. malachi

Hello,

tried using the email listed above. did not work, please advise at your convenience if it no longer works or if there is another contact.

Hi Malachi,

Do you mean the email for the town of Lecce nei Marsi? If so, there was a mistake. That’s the correct email address: info@comunelecceneimarsi.it Thank you for letting us know, now we have updated it also in the previous comment.

2. Manju Kothapalli

Hi
      I am interested in some 1 euro properties in Italy. Where can i find some properties available in entire italy and at this point?. give me the list of properties and cities available.

3. Gate-away.com

Hi Manju,

Here is the list:
      – Gangi, Salemi and Regalbuto in Sicily
      – Nulvi and Ollolai in Sardinia
      – Montieri in Tuscany
      – Carrega Ligure in Piedmont
      – Lecce nei Marsi in Abruzzo
      – Pratica in Lazio
      – Fabbriche di Vergemoli in Toscana
      – Zungoli in Campania

1. Kim Smyth

Hi,

Can I just confirm that this is a current list of towns offering 1EUR houses?
        Because all of your other comments say that Ollolai has already stopped accepting applications.

Also do you know if the trend of towns offering 1EUR houses is increasing, meaning I can take my time to look around, or decreasing, meaning I shouldn’t be picky with the towns location.

Hi Kim,

Yes, this is the list.

Ollolai has already stopped accepting publications, but not sure about the other towns if the also stopped. You could try email them and see what’s going on. In any case this is surely a growing trend, so probably there will be other towns that will adopt this scheme in the future.

2. Mary Rose de Vries

Hello,
    I am also interested in the 1€ housing in Abruzzo or other possibilities in mainland Italy.
    Look forward to hearing from you soon!
    Mary-Rose

3. Roman Flaska

Hallo, dear team of Gate-away… May I ask you…. In Montieri (tuscany) it is province Grosseto or Siena?
    We like this houses for 1€ and we want more info about houses in Tuscany. Can you send me some contacts for people, who can help us?
    Thank you very much.

4. Cynthia

hi- do you have the contact for homes in Nului and Ollolai in Sardinia?

5. Richard

Good Afternoon,

I would like to inquire more information about the houses for 1 euro in Abruzzo part of Italy. I tried to use this email address: inof@comunelecceneimarsi.it however it does not work. Please, could you advice me who to contact?

Thanks

6. Mohammad Wali

Hello Gate Away Team,

I am really interested in buying one house for the price scheme of 1 Euro in Italy. Could you please help me fill the forms on your website as it is in Italian and I can only write English, please help me fill the forms, kindly contact me on email. I can send all necessary details.

Hi Mohammed,

Unfortunately you can’t apply for property for sale at € 1 on our website. You need to go to the official website of each of those towns and fill our the form. In this article you’ll find all the info you need to fill the form for the town of Ollolai for example: https://www.gate-away.com/news/buy-house-ollolai-e-1/

We hope it can help you.

7. Berdine v.d. Westhuizen

Hi we are interested in these properties were can we see photos of the places that are still available

Hi Berdine,

Do you mean photos of the property for sale at € 1? If so, we think it’s not possible to see in advance photos of those properties. Usually you need to apply for the programme and as new housing units become available, each applicant is contacted by the town hall and invited to see the property so one can decide whether or not to buy the house at a symbolic fee of just € 1.

8. Ashley

Hello, I was wondering if once you apply for a house if it is guaranteed that you get it or if it’s completely up to the council of that city. Would there be reasons for which you would get denied? If so, what would those be?

Hi Ashley,

When you fill out the form, you are simply included in a waiting list of people interested in buying a home for € 1. As new housing units become available, each applicant will be contacted by the town hall in chronological order. Then you can decide if you want to buy one of the houses available or not.

the Gate-a

9. TRES BEDELL

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a home for $1 in Gangi, Sicily.
    Do you have the direct email and any other contact information for the township to start talks with them for purchasing one of their homes?

10. Radka

Hello! Can you please tell me if i understand well that for 1 Eu they give me house in certain locations in Italy with contract that I will have to have a plan for a rebuilt the house until 3 years.
    Are there any houses actually that doesnt need any rebuilt? As I dont have any money.

11. Michael

Hello,
    From what I have read on these renovation estimates appear to be between EUR20,000 and 30,000. Do you know if these would generally include labour costs or are they on a DIY basis?
    Thank you.

Dear Michael,

That’s hard to tell. It depends on what kind of works you need to do, on the materials used and the company you choose. So you should ask for different quotations to have an idea.

12. Eloise Florio

Hello!
    I’m interested in buying a house/property in Italy.
    I am from Italy – but do not speak the language well.
    So it would be a bit difficult for me to find my way around the market.
    Can I be contented by mail?
    Best
    Eloise Florio

Dear Eloise,

Here you will find all the info about buying a property in Italy: https://www.gate-away.com/pages_intl.php?id=5

Also, if you tell us what kind of property you’re looking for, in which area and what’s your budget, we can forward your request to a couple of reliable real estate agencies working with us that could show you some housing solutions according to your needs and help you in your search.

Let us know.

13. sarah notter

Hello – my husband and I got engaged in Italy and we have loved it ever since. We are very interested in purchasing a home in Italy, and my husband has been researching about the 1$ purchase of a home in need o restoration. We would love to be part of bringing an old property back to life and then having a place to call home in Italy. We understand that word of mouth has gotten this whole trend more popular; with that, we are also aware that some towns may not be participating in this program anymore. We were hoping you could at least direct us as to what towns may still be able to provide this amazing opportunity at this date in time.

Sincerely, Sarah and Jason

Hi Sarah,

We know for sure that for Ollolai the deadline was February 2018. You could try to send an email to the other towns listed in this article so they can provide you with further and precise information.

14. RAJNISH

Hey.
    I want to know more about purchasing a home in italy ollolai in 79rupees only.. would love to purchase..
    Please arrange real estate agents numbers..

7503618577-
    Regards
    RAJNISH KHASPURIA
    rajnish7894@gmail.com

Hi Rajnish,

Unfortunately the deadline for applying for property for sale at €1 was 7 February, 2018.

15. Jaqueline Neergaard

Hello,
    If de deadline for Ollolai was 7 februar, 2018, Now it is September 2, Can l still apply to de other Places ?
    – Gangi, Salemi and Regalbuto in Sicily
    – Nulvi and Ollolai in Sardinia
    – Montieri in Tuscany
    – Carrega Ligure in Piedmont
    – Lecce nei Marsi in Abruzzo
    – Pratica in Lazio
    – Fabbriche di Vergemoli in Toscana

Hi Jaqueline,

You should email the town hall of each village and see what they tell about it. Maybe there are still some chances for some of them.

the Gate-away.com

16. Nadia boumaraf

Hello I am interested to get a beautiful house in ollolai city by 1 $ an I want know more about this I would like getting more information and fast answring I want buy really there

Hi Nadia,

Unfortunately the deadline already expired, so you can no longer apply for houses for sale at € 1 in Ollolai.

17. Adam

I am very interested in any of the current opportunities to purchase and revitalize homes in Italy. I’d also be interested in being contacted by real estate agents who specialize in “off the beaten track” character properties either in smaller cities, towns or villages or in the countryside.

Budget all-in is <$100,000 and would be happy to spend a good portion of that on renovations. Our goal is to have a home in Italy that we can spend at least 50% of our time at once we retire (in 3-5 years). In the meantime we would use it as a family vacation home.

Hi Adam,

If you tell us which region of Italy could you be mainly interested in, we can forward your request to a couple or reliable real estate agents working in the area. So they can show you some housing solutions according to your needs.

18. Jane day

Hello
    Have been looking into purchasing a pope in Italy. Are her any areas il available on he £1 sheen
    Thankyou

Hi Abed,

You need to find on the Internet the official page of the town you are interested in and email them. Because these properties are directly managed by the town hall, not agencies.

19. Choayb

I’m from Algeria , I’m very interested for home in ollolai city by 1$

20. othman

O.Abusaif
    By purchasing one of those €1 properties and go through all official required processes will I be able to get a permanent resident permit in Italy for me as a Canadian citizen.
    Thanks

21. Raquel Kesselring

Hello, are there currently any towns which the deadlines have not passed and are still taking applications? November 24,2018

22. Marcus

This sounds very appealing and a project that I can take on. I am wondering what the visa situation is like once you have completed the residence?

23. Alejandro Perez

Hi I’m currently interested in purchasing a property or house in Italy for one euro if they’re still available.

Hi Alejandro,

You can still buying a property for sale for € 1 in Sambuca di Sicilia. The town hall recommended that all interested buyers send an email of interest to case1euro@comune.sambucadisicilia.ag.it
      All requests received by email will be formed into a database of all interested buyers. You can find a list of properties on the website of the comune.

24. Steve

Hi, I am interested in any 1 euro house in any location. I have to say though, if Italy want anyone to follow up on this offer then they need to be more organized. They need to get a grip and coordinate all area’s and publish email links accordingly.

25. Travis

Do you have a current list of towns that are offering the 1 Euro homes??

Dear Travis,

At the moment the Italian town offering property for sale for € 1 is Sambuca di Sicilia. If you are interested and you need further info you have to contact directly the town hall via email.

26. IZGI

Good afternoon Mr., Mrs

(1 euro) I am interested in home. What are your requirements? I would appreciate it if you give any explanatory information on the subject. not only wants to buy a house, but also wants to live.
    thank you very much .

27. Arjun malla

sir, i like buy house in Italy ollali one euro house please give me detail process .

28. ritu mangaleshkar

Hi , are there any properties in Italy available presently for 1 euro presently and whats the best way forward to apply for them .

regards

Ritu

29. Toneisha May

Hi my name is Toneisha, I am very interested in buying property for 1 euro. How can I access the application or website ( in English ). I’m American, I’m looking forward to hearing back from you.
    My email is monaemay25@gmail.com

Thank you for your time!

30. SANJAY GOYAL

I am an Indian and wish to purchase a good villa . Please suggest me the schemes proposed by many town hall or villages. Where to contact or how the application will proceed.

31. Deji

Hi… I’d be glad to relocate to locana, heard mayor is extending offers to foreigners, my wife and I have a child and we will love to relocate overthere but we don’t know how to go about the whole buying a house, getting a visa and resident

32. Vo Khac Huy

Hi gate-away team!
    I’m from asia, and I’m really interested with buy home in €1, but I need to know how can I buy it?? And Can I become Itilian passport liked people who live here?? Please email me for the further at huyvo78@gmail.com

33. Ken

Hello. Would like to register to buy 1 Euro property in Zungoli. Please connect me for all information to get started. Thank-you

Hi Ken,

Try to send an email to the town hall of Zungoli, maybe you can get further info.

Regards,

34. Desislava

Hello. Im interested in buying a property for one euro in Italy. I already check links before but the dead line for application for Sambuca is 01.04.2019. Have you got other offers like this? Thanks in advance. Best regards

Hi Desislava,

Unfortunately for the moment we think that there are no other chances to apply for other schemes like this one.

Regards,

35. Sheila Goldthorpe

Hi
    Do you know if there are any places still offering 1 € houses?
    Thanks for your help.